I know it’s hard to tell at times, but summer is approaching!
What are your favorite things to do in the summer? Shoot me your ideas. Here are some of my favorite local summer activities:
- Visit a new restaurant. After living in Chicago for 9 years, I think we’re lucky to have access to new, fun and up-and-coming restaurants in our backyard. I love looking at the lists that Eater publishes. Here’s the Detroit heatmap for May 2019 (Eater covers multiple cities across the country)
- Explore a new, or favorite local activity. Whether it’s a minor league baseball team or a concert in the park, don’t let a calendar of events pass you by:
- I would be remiss not to sneak in a financial topic! Teach your kids, grand kids, nieces and/or nephews about the importance of saving money. Here are a few items that I pulled from the articles below.
- Use a clear jar. While a piggy bank is the traditional route, I think a visual helps.
- Make them earn it! Give them jobs around the house or have them ask neighbors what they can do this summer.
- Invest a small amount in an index fund, such as the S&P 500 and have them track the value of it over the summer. Keep in mind, I don’t have an account minimum, so no amount is too small.
Check out these articles for more great ideas on teaching kids about money: